Thursday 11 August 2016

Why I love geography

It is no secret, I love geography - I am a complete self confessed geography geek. To me geography is holistic, varied, dynamic, topical and exciting. I suppose my enthusiasm started when I was a little younger than you are and I began traveling overseas. It was then that I began to explicitly realise the connections between what I was learning about in geography at school and what I was seeing in front of me. And I had questions... so many questions all of the time. How did that get there? How was that formed? Why is the weather different here? Why do people live here? Why don't people live there? I was hooked on finding out why - and to me that is what geography is all about. I love to travel and see geography all around me. I love maps - they are the most beautiful art to me. I love tales of explorers and often feel sad when I think how much of the world has already been discovered and how few of the earth's secrets will be left for my children to uncover. I love the natural world, I love the marvels of the built world and I have genuine concern for the way in which the two interact and the fragility of our future. 

Geography really is all around us; the places we visit, the people we meet, the news we read, the way we live our lives. Hopefully this blog will help you to make links between DP geography theory and what is going on out there and hopefully some of my enthusiasm might even rub off on you.

Enjoy the course!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to add your comments