Tuesday 4 October 2016

Where can Geography take you?

This is a question I get asked frequently. Mostly by parents who are perhaps less aware of what we study in geography these days (its not all maps and colouring in anymore) but also by students so I thought I would share these two videos made by the Royal Geographical Society in the UK which show just how varied the job opportunities from a geography degree can be.

I obviously did a geography degree and became a geography teacher, a pretty obvious pathway. But here is a list of what my five closest friends from my geography course went on to do.
  • Environmental Consultant for Shell
  • Urban Planning for local council
  • Associate Director for Barclays Bank in New York
  • Human Resource Manager for the UK National Health Service
  • Quantity Surveyor for a private firm
As you can see I am the most boring of the lot although I love my job and in my view teaching is a great gig if you enjoy travel, continued learning, long holidays and daily variety.

Anyway take a look at these videos if you are interested.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to add your comments